Document Type: Case Report(s)
Department of General Surgery, Rajarajeshwari Medical College and Hospital, Bangalore, India
An obstructed inguinal hernia is a common surgical emergency, which presents with a variety of contents like the small intestine, omentum, and colon. Intestinal knotting is a rare entity encountered in surgical practice; it occurs when one coil of intestine wraps around the other and eventually leads to complications such as intestinal obstruction, ischemia, and gangrene. Both conditions are considered surgical emergencies and should be dealt with through appropriate surgical measures forthwith. We report the case of an obstructed inguinal hernia, which, on exploration, showed an ileoileal knot as its content. Ileoileal knotting is a very rare phenomenon and, to the best of our knowledge, such an ileoileal knot as a content of obstructed inguinal hernia has not been reported in the surgical literature so far.
- Hayanga AJ, Bass-Wilkins K, Bulkley GB. Current management of small-bowel obstruction. Adv Surg. 2005;39:1-33. doi: 10.1016/j.yasu.2005.05.001. PubMed PMID: 16250544.
- Uday S, Venkata PKC, Bhargav P, Kumar S. Ileo-ileal knot causing small bowel gangrene: an unusual presentation. Int J Case Rep Imag. 2012;3:28-30. doi: 10.5348/ijcri-2012-05-121-CR-6.
- Pendse AK, Prajapat G, Sharma A, Sharma M. Ileo-ileal knotting causing intestinal obstruction. Indian J Pediatr. 1988;55:639-40. doi: 10.1007/BF02868453.PubMed PMID: 3169937.
- Shepherd JJ. Ninety-two cases of ileosigmoid knotting in Uganda. Br J Surg. 1967;54:561-6. doi: 10.1002/bjs.1800540615.PubMed PMID: 6026331.
- Yanez Benitez C, Casamayor Franco C, Ligorred Padilla L, Baque Sanz F. Gangrened ileosigmoid knot. Rev Esp Enferm Dig. 2009;101:449-51. PubMed PMID: 19630476.
- Machado NO. Ileosigmoid knot: a case report and literature review of 280 cases. Ann Saudi Med. 2009;29:402-6. doi: 10.4103/0256-4947.55173.PubMed PMID: 19700901; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3290047.
- Mandal A, Chandel V, Baig S. Ileosigmoid knot. Indian J Surg. 2012;74:136-42. doi: 10.1007/s12262-011-0346-y. PubMed PMID: 23542502; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3309095.
- VerSteeg KR, Whitehead WA. Ileosigmoid knot. Arch Surg. 1980;115:761-3. doi: 10.1001/archsurg.1980.01380060059017.PubMed PMID: 7387365.
- Shimizu R, Hoshino Y, Irie H, Ito H, Terauchi T, Kimata M, et al. Ileosigmoid knot at week 13 of pregnancy: report of a case. Int Surg. 2014;99:230-4. doi: 10.9738/INTSURG-D-14-00011.1. PubMed PMID: 24833144; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4027905.