Document Type: Original Article(s)
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Khalili Hospital, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Department of Speech Therapy, Khalili Hospital, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Background: The number of children with cochlear implants who have other difficulties such as attention deficiency and cerebral palsy has increased dramatically. Despite the need for information on the results of cochlear implantation in this group, the available literature is extremely limited. We, therefore, sought to compare the levels of auditory perception in children with cochlear implants with and without additional disabilities.Methods: A spondee test comprising 20 two-syllable words was performed. The data analysis was done using SPSS, version 19.Results: Thirty-one children who had received cochlear implants 2 years previously and were at an average age of7.5 years were compared via the spondee test. From the 31 children,15 had one or more additional disabilities. The data analysis indicated that the mean score of auditory perception in this group was approximately 30 scores below that of the children with cochlear implants who had no additional disabilities.Conclusion: Although there was an improvement in the auditory perception of all the children with cochlear implants, there was a noticeable difference in the level of auditory perception between those with and without additional disabilities. Deafness and additional disabilities depended the children on lip reading alongside the auditory ways of communication. In addition, the level of auditory perception in the children with cochlear implants who had more than one additional disability was significantly less than that of the other children with cochlear implants who had one additional disability.
- - Edwards LC. Children with cochlear implants and complex needs: a review of outcome research and psychological practice. J Deaf Stud Deaf Educ. 2007;12:258-68. doi: 10.1093/deafed/enm007. PubMed PMID: 17493953.
- -Gallaudet Research Institute.Annual Survey of Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children & Youth. Washington: Gallaudet Research Institute; 2003. p. 336-49.
- - Diefendorf AO. Behavioral audiometry with children. In: Seewald RC, Tharpe AM, editors. Comprehensive Handbook of Pediatric Audiology. San Diego: Plural Pub; 2011.p. 497-510.
- - Lachowska M, Rozycka J, Lukaszewicz Z, Konecka A, Niemczyk K. Auditory skills in multi-handicapped children with cochlear implants. Otolaryngol Pol. 2010;64:22-6. doi: 10.1016/S0030-6657(10)70004-4. PubMed PMID: 21171306.
- - Youm HY, Moon IJ, Kim EY, Kim BY, Cho YS, Chung WH, et al. The auditory and speech performance of children with intellectual disability after cochlear implantation. Acta Otolaryngol. 2013;133:59-69. doi: 10.3109/00016489.2012.720031. PubMed PMID: 23066719.
- - Kreisman BM, John AB. A case law review of the individuals with disabilities education act for children with hearing loss or auditory processing disorders. J Am Acad Audiol. 2010;21:426-40. doi: 10.3766/jaaa.21.7.2. PubMed PMID: 20807479.
- -Diefendorf AO. Behavioral hearing assessment: Considerations for the young child with developmental disabilities. Semin Hear. 2003:24;189-200.
- -Roush J, Holcomb MA, Roush PA, Escolar ML. When hearing loss occurs with multiple disabilities. Semin Hear. 2004;25:333-45.doi: 10.1055/s-2004-836135.
- -Hashemi S, Monshizadeh L. The quality of life in pre-lingual deaf children after 1.5 years of cochlear implantation from the point of view of parents in Shiraz, Iran. Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2011;13:431.
- - Hashemi SB, Monshizadeh L. The effect of cochlear implantation in development of intelligence quotient of 6-9 deaf children in comparison with normal hearing children (Iran, 2009-2011). Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2012;76:802-4. doi: 10.1016/j.ijporl.2012.02.046. PubMed PMID: 22418074.
- - Hashemi SB, Monshizadeh L. A comparison between the mothers of cochlear implanted children and mothers of children with hearing aid in the level of depression, anxiety and stress. Biomedical and Pharmacology Journal. 2012;5:241-5.doi: 10.13005/bpj/350.
- - Palmieri M, Berrettini S, Forli F, Trevisi P, Genovese E, Chilosi AM, et al. Evaluating benefits of cochlear implantation in deaf children with additional disabilities. Ear Hear. 2012;33:721-30. doi: 10.1097/AUD.0b013e31825b1a69. PubMed PMID: 22785571.
- -Corrales CE, Oghalai JS. Cochlear implant considerations in children with additional disabilities. Curr Otorhinolaryngol Rep. 2013;1:61-8. doi: 10.1007/s40136-013-0011-z.
- - Pyman B, Blamey P, Lacy P, Clark G, Dowell R. The development of speech perception in children using cochlear implants: effects of etiologic factors and delayed milestones. Otol Neurotol. 2000;21:57-61. doi: 10.1016/S0196-0709(00)80113-1.
- - Fukuda S, Fukushima K, Maeda Y, Tsukamura K, Nagayasu R, Toida N, et al. Language development of a multiply handicapped child after cochlear implantation. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2003;67:627-33. doi: 10.1016/S0165-5876(03)00016-8.PubMed PMID: 12745156.
- - Holt RF, Kirk KI. Speech and language development in cognitively delayed children with cochlear implants. Ear Hear. 2005;26:132-48. doi: 10.1097/00003446-200504000-00003.PubMed PMID: 15809541.
- - Waltzman SB, Scalchunes V, Cohen NL. Performance of multiply handicapped children using cochlear implants. Am J Otol. 2000;21:329-35. doi: 10.1016/S0196-0709(00)80040-X.PubMed PMID: 10821544.
- - Shinghal T, Cushing S, Gordon KA, Huber JF, Lee J, Papsin B. Seizure activity following cochlear implantation: is it the implant? Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2012;76:704-7. doi: 10.1016/j.ijporl.2012.02.024. PubMed PMID: 22386273.
- - Meinzen-Derr J, Wiley S, Grether S, Choo DI. Language performance in children with cochlear implants and additional disabilities. Laryngoscope. 2010;120:405-13. doi: 10.1002/lary.20728. PubMed PMID: 19950380.
- - Bacciu A, Pasanisi E, Vincenti V, Ormitti F, Di Lella F, Guida M, et al. Cochlear implantation in children with cerebral palsy. A preliminary report. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2009;73:717-21. doi: 10.1016/j.ijporl.2009.01.010. PubMed PMID: 19201488.
- - Hamzavi J, Baumgartner WD, Egelierler B, Franz P, Schenk B, Gstoettner W. Follow up of cochlear implanted handicapped children. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2000;56:169-74. doi: 10.1016/S0165-5876(00)00420-1.PubMed PMID: 11137590.
- - Daneshi A, Hassanzadeh S. Cochlear implantation in prelingually deaf persons with additional disability. J Laryngol Otol. 2007;121:635-8. doi: 10.1017/S0022215107005051. PubMed PMID: 17147840.