Document Type : Review Article
Mother and Child Nutrition, Department of Nutrition, School of Health, Health Polytechnic of Kendari, Kendari, Indonesia
Department of Nutrition, School of Health, Health Polytechnic of Gorontalo, Kendari, Indonesia
Background: Malnutrition in children is mainly caused by the lack of protein and fat intake which harms their ability to grow and survive. Accurate data on the benefits of fish-based foods on the nutritional status of children is limited. The present systematic review aimed to provide an overview of published articles on the nutritional value of fish-based foods for children.
Methods: A systematic review was performed during 2000-2021 by searching Science Direct, Cochrane Library, PubMed, ProQuest, and Wiley Online Library databases. The full text of selected articles in English was screened based on the inclusion and exclusion criteria. Included articles were all experimental studies (randomized control trial, quasi-randomized trial) or mixed methods studies involving malnourished children. The study was reported under the preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses guidelines. The risk of bias was assessed using the Cochrane tool.
Results: A total of 330,859 articles were screened, out of which eight articles were included in the systematic review. Interventions included fish-based foods and beverages such as wafer bars, Jemawut-tuna cookies, Amizate in chocolate drink, dried fish powder, flaxseed oil supplemented with fish oil capsules, and porridge fortified with fish powder. Primary or secondary outcomes were the determination of zinc level, height growth, erythrocyte n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid content, safety and acceptability, intestinal integrity, and cognitive development. The results showed that dried fish powder produced the most significant effect on body weight.
Conclusion: The consumption of dried fish powder had positive effects on the recovery of malnourished children.
- Baye K, Guyot JP, Mouquet-Rivier C. The unresolved role of dietary fibers on mineral absorption. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2017;57:949-57. doi: 10.1080/10408398.2014.953030. PubMed PMID: 25976096.
- Maternal, Child Nutrition Study G, Group m, Black RE, Alderman H, Bhutta ZA, et al. Maternal and child nutrition: building momentum for impact. Lancet. 2013;382:372-5. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(13)60988-5. PubMed PMID: 23746778.
- Hawkes C, Fanzo J. Nourishing the SDGs. New York: Global nutrition report 2017. 2017.
- World Health O. Guideline: Assessing and Managing Children at Primary Health-Care Facilities to Prevent Overweight and Obesity in the Context of the Double Burden of Malnutrition. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2017.
- Bogard JR, Hother AL, Saha M, Bose S, Kabir H, Marks GC, et al. Inclusion of Small Indigenous Fish Improves Nutritional Quality During the First 1000 Days. Food Nutr Bull. 2015;36:276-89. doi: 10.1177/0379572115598885. PubMed PMID: 26297705.
- Das JK, Salam RA, Saeed M, Kazmi FA, Bhutta ZA. Effectiveness of Interventions for Managing Acute Malnutrition in Children under Five Years of Age in Low-Income and Middle-Income Countries: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Nutrients. 2020;12. doi: 10.3390/nu12010116. PubMed PMID: 31906272; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC7019612.
- Mansour AT, Allam BW, Srour TM, Omar EA, Nour AAM, Khalil HS. The feasibility of monoculture and polyculture of striped catfish and Nile tilapia in different proportions and their effects on growth performance, productivity, and financial revenue. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering. 2021;9:586. doi: 10.3390/jmse9060586.
- Willett W, Rockstrom J, Loken B, Springmann M, Lang T, Vermeulen S, et al. Food in the Anthropocene: the EAT-Lancet Commission on healthy diets from sustainable food systems. Lancet. 2019;393:447-92. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(18)31788-4. PubMed PMID: 30660336.
- Allam BW, Khalil HS, Mansour AT, Srour TM, Omar EA, Nour AAM. Impact of substitution of fish meal by high protein distillers dried grains on growth performance, plasma protein and economic benefit of striped catfish (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus). Aquaculture. 2020;517:734792. doi: 10.1016/j.aquaculture.2019.734792.
- Ali A, El Sherif S, Abd Alla J, Maulu S, Tantawy AA, Soliman MF, et al. Morphometric, histochemical, and ultrastructural analysis of the reproductive system and spermatogenic stages of male blue crab (Callinectes sapidus Rathbun, 1896). Journal of Marine Science and Engineering. 2021;9:1105. doi: 10.3390/jmse9101105.
- Khalil HS, Momoh T, Al‐Kenawy D, Yossa R, Badreldin AM, Roem A, et al. Nitrogen retention, nutrient digestibility and growth efficiency of Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) fed dietary lysine and reared in fertilized ponds. Aquaculture Nutrition. 2021;27:2320-32. doi: 10.1111/anu.13365.
- Schonfeldt HC, Gibson Hall N. Dietary protein quality and malnutrition in Africa. Br J Nutr. 2012;108:S69-76. doi: 10.1017/S0007114512002553. PubMed PMID: 23107550.
- Ruel MT, Quisumbing AR, Balagamwala M. Nutrition-sensitive agriculture: what have we learned so far? Global food security. 2018;17:128-53. doi: 10.1016/j.gfs.2018.01.002.
- Akech S, Ayieko P, Gathara D, Agweyu A, Irimu G, Stepniewska K, et al. Risk factors for mortality and effect of correct fluid prescription in children with diarrhoea and dehydration without severe acute malnutrition admitted to Kenyan hospitals: an observational, association study. Lancet Child Adolesc Health. 2018;2:516-24. doi: 10.1016/S2352-4642(18)30130-5. PubMed PMID: 29971245; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC6004535.
- Bwakura-Dangarembizi M, Dumbura C, Amadi B, Ngosa D, Majo FD, Nathoo KJ, et al. Risk factors for postdischarge mortality following hospitalization for severe acute malnutrition in Zimbabwe and Zambia. Am J Clin Nutr. 2021;113:665-74. doi: 10.1093/ajcn/nqaa346. PubMed PMID: 33471057; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC7948837.
- Kord MI, Srour TM, Omar EA, Farag AA, Nour AAM, Khalil HS. The Immunostimulatory Effects of Commercial Feed Additives on Growth Performance, Non-specific Immune Response, Antioxidants Assay, and Intestinal Morphometry of Nile tilapia, Oreochromis niloticus. Front Physiol. 2021;12:627499. doi: 10.3389/fphys.2021.627499. PubMed PMID: 33716774; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC7947921.
- Nabukeera-Barungi N, Grenov B, Lanyero B, Namusoke H, Mupere E, Christensen VB, et al. Predictors of mortality among hospitalized children with severe acute malnutrition: a prospective study from Uganda. Pediatr Res. 2018;84:92-8. doi: 10.1038/s41390-018-0016-x. PubMed PMID: 29795207.
- Vonasek BJ, Chiume M, Crouse HL, Mhango S, Kondwani A, Ciccone EJ, et al. Risk factors for mortality and management of children with complicated severe acute malnutrition at a tertiary referral hospital in Malawi. Paediatr Int Child Health. 2020;40:148-57. doi: 10.1080/20469047.2020.1747003. PubMed PMID: 32242509.
- Hornell A, Lagstrom H, Lande B, Thorsdottir I. Protein intake from 0 to 18 years of age and its relation to health: a systematic literature review for the 5th Nordic Nutrition Recommendations. Food Nutr Res. 2013;57. doi: 10.3402/fnr.v57i0.21083. PubMed PMID: 23717219; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC3664059.
- Balami S, Sharma A, Karn R. Significance of nutritional value of fish for human health. Malaysian Journal of Halal Research. 2019;2:32-4. doi: 10.2478/mjhr-2019-0012.
- Gil A, Gil F. Fish, a Mediterranean source of n-3 PUFA: benefits do not justify limiting consumption. Br J Nutr. 2015;113:S58-67. doi: 10.1017/S0007114514003742. PubMed PMID: 26148923.
- Page MJ, McKenzie JE, Bossuyt PM, Boutron I, Hoffmann TC, Mulrow CD, et al. The PRISMA 2020 statement: An updated guideline for reporting systematic reviews. Int J Surg. 2021;88:105906. doi: 10.1016/j.ijsu.2021.105906. PubMed PMID: 33789826.
- Guyatt G, Oxman AD, Sultan S, Brozek J, Glasziou P, Alonso-Coello P, et al. GRADE guidelines: 11. Making an overall rating of confidence in effect estimates for a single outcome and for all outcomes. J Clin Epidemiol. 2013;66:151-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jclinepi.2012.01.006. PubMed PMID: 22542023.
- Guyatt GH, Oxman AD, Kunz R, Atkins D, Brozek J, Vist G, et al. GRADE guidelines: 2. Framing the question and deciding on important outcomes. J Clin Epidemiol. 2011;64:395-400. doi: 10.1016/j.jclinepi.2010.09.012. PubMed PMID: 21194891.
- Sigh S, Roos N, Chamnan C, Laillou A, Prak S, Wieringa FT. Effectiveness of a Locally Produced, Fish-Based Food Product on Weight Gain among Cambodian Children in the Treatment of Acute Malnutrition: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Nutrients. 2018;10. doi: 10.3390/nu10070909. PubMed PMID: 30012981; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC6073612.
- Ikawati FD, Hanim D, Salimo H. Innovation of Jemawut Cookies (Foxtail Millet)-Tuna On Nutrition Status and Zinc Value for Children Aged 6-24 Months With Less Nutrition Status In Regency of Pacitan–Indonesia. Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development. 2020;11. doi: 10.37506/ijphrd.v11i3.1429.
- Nesse KO, Nagalakshmi AP, Marimuthu P, Singh M. Efficacy of a fish protein hydrolysate in malnourished children. Indian J Clin Biochem. 2011;26:360-5. doi: 10.1007/s12291-011-0145-z. PubMed PMID: 23024471; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC3210250.
- Chipili G, Van Graan A, Lombard CJ, Van Niekerk E. The Efficacy of Fish as an Early Complementary Food on the Linear Growth of Infants Aged 6-7 Months: A Randomised Controlled Trial. Nutrients. 2022;14. doi: 10.3390/nu14112191. PubMed PMID: 35683991; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC9182483.
- Jones KD, Ali R, Khasira MA, Odera D, West AL, Koster G, et al. Ready-to-use therapeutic food with elevated n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid content, with or without fish oil, to treat severe acute malnutrition: a randomized controlled trial. BMC Med. 2015;13:93. doi: 10.1186/s12916-015-0315-6. PubMed PMID: 25902844; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC4407555.
- van der Merwe LF, Moore SE, Fulford AJ, Halliday KE, Drammeh S, Young S, et al. Long-chain PUFA supplementation in rural African infants: a randomized controlled trial of effects on gut integrity, growth, and cognitive development. Am J Clin Nutr. 2013;97:45-57. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.112.042267. PubMed PMID: 23221579; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC3522138.
- Lin CA, Manary MJ, Maleta K, Briend A, Ashorn P. An energy-dense complementary food is associated with a modest increase in weight gain when compared with a fortified porridge in Malawian children aged 6-18 months. J Nutr. 2008;138:593-8. doi: 10.1093/jn/138.3.593. PubMed PMID: 18287372.
- Borg B, Sok D, Mihrshahi S, Griffin M, Chamnan C, Berger J, et al. Effectiveness of a locally produced ready-to-use supplementary food in preventing growth faltering for children under 2 years in Cambodia: a cluster randomised controlled trial. Matern Child Nutr. 2020;16:e12896. doi: 10.1111/mcn.12896. PubMed PMID: 31885221; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC7038903.
- Banna MHA, Al Zaber A, Rahman N, Siddique MAM, Siddique MAB, Hagan Jr JE, et al. Nutritional value of dry fish in Bangladesh and its potential contribution to addressing malnutrition: a narrative review. Fishes. 2022;7:240. doi: 10.3390/fishes7050240.
- Ochoa TJ, Baiocchi N, Valdiviezo G, Bullon V, Campos M, Llanos-Cuentas A. Evaluation of the efficacy, safety and acceptability of a fish protein isolate in the nutrition of children under 36 months of age. Public Health Nutr. 2017;20:2819-26. doi: 10.1017/S136898001700163X. PubMed PMID: 28805177; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC10261284.
- Khalili Tilami S, Sampels S. Nutritional value of fish: lipids, proteins, vitamins, and minerals. Reviews in Fisheries Science & Aquaculture. 2018;26:243-53. doi: 10.1080/23308249.2017.1399104.
- Beveridge MC, Thilsted SH, Phillips MJ, Metian M, Troell M, Hall SJ. Meeting the food and nutrition needs of the poor: the role of fish and the opportunities and challenges emerging from the rise of aquaculture. J Fish Biol. 2013;83:1067-84. doi: 10.1111/jfb.12187. PubMed PMID: 24090563; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC4283757.
- Béné C, Barange M, Subasinghe R, Pinstrup-Andersen P, Merino G, Hemre G-I, et al. Feeding 9 billion by 2050–Putting fish back on the menu. Food Security. 2015;7:261-74. doi: 10.1007/s12571-015-0427-z.
- Boah M, Azupogo F, Amporfro DA, Abada LA. The epidemiology of undernutrition and its determinants in children under five years in Ghana. PLoS One. 2019;14:e0219665. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0219665. PubMed PMID: 31365528; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC6668784.
- Fernandes ECB, Castro TGd, Sartorelli DS. Associated factors of malnutrition among African children under five years old, Bom Jesus, Angola. Revista de Nutrição. 2017;30:33-44. doi: 10.1590/1678-98652017000100004.
- Sulaiman AA, Bushara SO, Elmadhoun WM, Noor SK, Abdelkarim M, Aldeen IN, et al. Prevalence and determinants of undernutrition among children under 5-year-old in rural areas: A cross-sectional survey in North Sudan. J Family Med Prim Care. 2018;7:104-10. doi: 10.4103/jfmpc.jfmpc_73_17. PubMed PMID: 29915742; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC5958549.
- Talukder A. Factors Associated with Malnutrition among Under-Five Children: Illustration using Bangladesh Demographic and Health Survey, 2014 Data. Children (Basel). 2017;4. doi: 10.3390/children4100088. PubMed PMID: 29048355; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC5664018.
- Castrilló NAM, Navarro MP, García-Arias MT. Tuna protein nutritional quality changes after canning. Journal of food science. 1996;61:1250-3. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2621.1996.tb10972.x.
- Herpandi NH, Rosma A, Wan Nadiah W. The tuna fishing industry: A new outlook on fish protein hydrolysates. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety. 2011;10:195-207. doi: 10.1111/j.1541-4337.2011.00155.x.
- Jiang Q, Nakazawa N, Hu Y, Wang X, Osako K, Okazaki E. Evolution of tissue microstructure, protein properties, and oxidative stability of salted bigeye tuna (Thunnus obesus) meat during frozen storage. LWT. 2021;149:111848. doi: 10.1016/j.lwt.2021.111848.
- Chasanah E, Susilowati R, Yuwono P, Zilda D, Fawzya Y, editors. Amino acid profile of biologically processed fish protein hydrolysate (FPH) using local enzyme to combat stunting. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science; 2019. doi: 10.1088/1755-1315/278/1/012013.
- Fawzya YN, Irianto HE. Fish protein hydrolysates in Indonesia: their nutritional values, health benefits, and potential applications. Marine Niche: Applications in Pharmaceutical Sciences: Translational Research. 2020:283-97. doi: 10.1007/978-981-15-5017-1_16.
- Siddik MA, Howieson J, Fotedar R, Partridge GJ. Enzymatic fish protein hydrolysates in finfish aquaculture: a review. Reviews in Aquaculture. 2021;13:406-30. doi: 10.1111/raq.12481.
- Olsen SF, Halldorsson TI, Li M, Strom M, Mao Y, Che Y, et al. Examining the Effect of Fish Oil Supplementation in Chinese Pregnant Women on Gestation Duration and Risk of Preterm Delivery. J Nutr. 2019;149:1942-51. doi: 10.1093/jn/nxz153. PubMed PMID: 31387119.
- Vinding RK, Stokholm J, Sevelsted A, Sejersen T, Chawes BL, Bonnelykke K, et al. Effect of fish oil supplementation in pregnancy on bone, lean, and fat mass at six years: randomised clinical trial. BMJ. 2018;362:k3312. doi: 10.1136/bmj.k3312. PubMed PMID: 30181143; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC6122120.